Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The Good, Bad, and Ugly of Planning

Throughout this whole planning process I've discovered vendors can be just like characters out of a Clint Eastwood movie.

The Good...For the most part ALL of my vendors would fall into this category.  My experience dress shopping at The Barefoot Bride does however stand out above all the rest.  Joelle Scholl does a great job categorizing her store full of consignment new and used wedding gowns.  You name it, she probably has it; plus she is there one on one with almost every bride.  It really makes you feel unique and not just another cookie cutter girl in white.  She encouraged me to try on a little bit of everything and to my surprise I actually chose a gown completely out of left field.  On top of that, her pricing is superb; really more than reasonable.  Where I saved on the dress, I have been able to splurge on an amazing photographer and vintage prop rentals.

The Bad....I wouldn't place a particular vendor here but I will mention the one bad thing about the wedding industry in general.  Getting married is EXPENSIVE.  I remember looking at venues with Dan over Labor Day weekend.  We would walk out of a hotel thinking "they want to charge me $5000 for that?!"  It's true, a lot of the things besides the venue (especially the little but vital details) are super pricey.  In the end, we realized that we'll be married no MORE married if we had a designer reception than if we shop at Goodwill and do a lot of things ourselves.  Besides it's more fun to be a do-it yourself  couple.  

The Ugly...Well let's just say that while we LOVE our venue now, it has had moments where we (especially Dan) have considered our venue "The Ugly" in our wedding planning western.  After my acceptance into Emory we sort of scrambled to decided if we would still get married in November or move the date forward to July.  After deciding July was best, we started negotiating the date with the venue.  Let's just say the quaint downtown art gallery we chose as the backdrop for our big day had overnight become the hottest new venue in downtown.   In addition, our "frat" boy contact at the gallery just wasn't as prepared for the influx of requests to use the venue as he needed to be.  As a result not only did we have to fight to even get a date in July, but there were also a lot more rules/fees to using the site.  All a formality, I guess, of overnight success for the venue.  We reminded ourselves of the reasons we chose 409 South Main in the first place and after my visit last week I just can't imagine anywhere else that would accomodate our vision and budget quite like 409.

In the end I feel the Heath/Grass Wedding Extravaganza of 2013 has actually come together free of drama so far and we hope to keep it that way with more experiences that fall into "The Good" column.  

No comments:

Post a Comment